A fifties custom is just as essential for the men as it is for the women. It’s important to find the perfect costume for you that will be both fun and easy to dance in. When deciding what style is right for you, Happy Days, the old comedy television show, is the perfect place to look. They have Richie Cunningham the ‘square’, and the ‘Fonz’ the ‘greaser’. Because both characters are widely known both costumes can be really fun for a sock hop.
Dressing like Richie can be a real fun costume.
- Pants- You’ll want a nice pair of slacks for the Richie look. If you don’t have slacks you could get away with jeans but those would be more appropriate for the ‘Fonz’ look.
- Shirt- You have a couple different choices with your shirts. You can just wear a button up top; make it fun with colors or strips. A cotton vest would be a nice touch to wear over the shirt. In the trailer of Happy Days, Richie has a red and black thick cotton vest that goes over his button up shirt. You could also wear a full sweater over the shirt.
- Jacket- A blazer is a perfect touch to your outfit. Richie frequently wore blazers. We might hesitate wearing a button up top, vest, and a blazer but this was typical in the 50s.
- Hair- Part your hair to the side. You’ll want to slick it over. Make sure it looks like a prim and proper hairdo.
- Shoes- Loafers or oxfords are the shoes that Richie would always wear. Once in a while you can catch him in a pair of Converse, but this was typically when playing sports.
The Fonz was a very popular character in Happy Days. Even if you haven’t watched the show you know who the Fonz is. He was portrayed as the womanizer of the show. All the girls loved him because he was the rebel. He is considered a greaser because he was always ridding around on his motorcycle and fixing cars. His outfit is the typical 50s costume that you would see at a sock hop. This outfit is a little easier to put together as well.
- Pants- The Fonz always wore jeans. He would roll them up a little bit at the bottom and would tuck his shirts in. Make sure these are not baggy jeans or too tight of jeans. The Fonz’s jeans always fit just right.
- Shirt- A white or black shirt was the only colored shirts he ever wore. Make sure it is a little more form fitting like he wore them.
- Jacket- The jacket of the Fonz was a typical greaser leather jacket or faux leather jacket. Either black or brown would do even though his was usually black. Any leather-riding jacket will do.
- Hair- The most important thing on the Fonz was his hairdo. No one was allowed to touch it and it was always in perfect place. This was considered an Elvis do. It had a part on the side but it was swept up in the front instead of slicking over. The sides were slicked with hair gel.
- Don’t forget to carry a black comb in your back pocket.
- Shoes- His outfits finishing touch were his black motorcycle boots. Any type of black boots will do.
You can always make your own look by mismatching some of the suggestions above to make a customized look. More than anything make sure you’re comfortable and that you can get out and dance in your outfit.